There are 4 ways to pay and travel on toll roads in Portugal.
This article describes the procedure for getting one of them – Via Verde.
Via Verde is an electronic toll collection system in Portugal that operates on all toll roads and bridges in the country. The system can work with any bank in the country, ensuring normal and non-stop traffic on toll roads.
Motorists who receive Via Verde attach a DSRC tag to their car’s windshield. At the time of driving on toll road segments, inter-regional highways and bridges, the tag transmits its identifier, and the amount of toll is deducted directly from the customer’s bank account.
Many parking lots, some gas stations (GALP) and even McDrive now use it as a possible payment method.
To get a Via Verde in Portugal you need to do the following sequence of steps:
- Go to the official website https://www.viaverde.pt/aderir?s=identificador and select the package you like.
- Fill out the registration form after selecting the package. At this stage it is necessary to specify:
2.1. residence address (it is also the billing address and delivery address);
2.2. state number plate of the car;
2.3. vehicle make and model (by it the system defines the class of the vehicle);
2.4. NIF – tax identification number and other personal information.
An important point at this stage: there are different processing procedures depending on whether you have a Portuguese bank account or not. In this particular case, the procedure to obtain a Via Verde is described if you have a Portuguese bank account. You will also need to indicate it on the application form!
- The processing time of the application is 1-2 working days. The notification about readiness will come to your email, the interface of your personal cabinet will change, the section “History of payments” will appear etc. After registration, you will be able to authorize in the mobile application, which you couldn’t do before even with your login and password.
- In about a week you will receive a small parcel with a DSRC-device at the address you specified at registration. It comes with instructions on how to attach it to the windshield and activate the tag.
- Follow the instructions to attach the device to the windshield of the car.
- To activate the device it is necessary to attach it to a bank card at any MB Multibanco ATM (the whole process is also described in the instruction). The process is very simple and fast: you insert your bank card into an ATM, find the necessary section and enter your Via Verde ID.
From now Via Verde is not only registered but already installed, activated and ready to work!